The cream cheese is what separates this recipe from the rest. It is amazing how it completely changes the flavor.
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), diced
1 Large, minced
Freshly ground black pepper
Stewed diced tomatoes
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
Fat free cream cheese
4 Ounce, cubed
1. In a saucepan, melt butter (opt) and add olive oil.
2. Sauté onions add garlic until onions are soft and translucent.
3. Add the herbs and pepper and sauté for a few more minutes, until the aromas of the herbs start to open.
4. Add tomatoes, sherry and honey. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Add the cream cheese and cook until melted.
6. Ladle into warm soup bowls and top with fresh chopped parsley.
7. Serve with a crusty bread like ciabatta.
This tomato soup will be chunky. You can omit the diced tomatoes or put it in a blender if you prefer it smooth.
Serve with a crusty bread like ciabatta and Candied Walnuts with Herb Salad Mix (see other recipes).
Most of us grow up loving cream of tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich on a nice rainy day! What a great comfort food. Of course, it can be from a can or packet but why have those when you can make a much more delicious and healthier version with such ease? This is a quick and easy cream of tomato soup yet very yummy. Visually and texturally from the tomatoes and cream cheese we get beautiful colors and a unique combination of creaminess with tomato heartiness. The aroma just brings your sense alive. If you use fresh tomatoes and herbs it will come alive even more. It makes a vibrant and sensual meal when paired with a salad, grilled cheese, ciabatta bread, or just by itself. Once you try the cream of tomato soup with the cream cheese, it will be hard, although nostalgic, to go back to anything else.