Broccoli Carrot Soup
|Leek greens||1 , halved, rinsed (2 Inch In Length)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), peeled and minced|
|Carrot||1 , peeled and cut into large dices|
|Ginger root piece||1 Inch, peeled and chopped|
|Canned vegetable broth||14 Ounce|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dried red chili||1 Small|
|Madras curry powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Crushed anise seed||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Whipping cream||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Cayenne pepper||To Taste|
1) Bring out 1 inch pieces from the Broccoli stalks. Store 3 heads in a separate place. Form other heads, cut small pieces and set aside.
2) In a saucepan, add butter to heat over medium heat.
3) Add leek, garlic, and carrot; cook to wilt.
4) Add broccoli stems and ginger. Cook for another 2 minutes.
5) Pour in broth and water into pan and bring mixture to a boil.
6) Reduce heat and bring the mixture to a simmer.
7) Fold in bay leaf, star anise, chili, curry and anise seed and simmer on low heat for 20 to 25 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
8) Remove from heat and discard bay leaf, star anise and pepper pod.
9) Meanwhile, steam the florets to tender.
10) Remove from pan.
11) Pour the soup in a blender and puree coarsely.
12) Return the puree on heat and add cream to stir.
13) Season with salt and Cayenne, to taste.
14) Use soup plates or bowls, to distribute the florets and spoon warm soup over them.
15) Serve the soup warm or cool.