|Boston lettuce head||1|
|Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Grated nutmeg||To Taste|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Bread croutons||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1) Wash and trim lettuce leaves. Blanch for 5 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain and rinse again in cold water.
2) Chop the leaves finely. Keep a few aside.
3) Skin and chop onions finely.
4) In a saucepan melt butter. Sauté onions for 5 minutes till soft.
5) Add lettuce shreds.
6) Pour stock over vegetables and boil the soup.
7) Sprinkle salt, freshly ground pepper, sugar, and a little nutmeg.
8) Remove from heat and cool slightly. Blend it or force through a sieve.
9) Stir in milk and reheat gently simmering for 5 minutes.
10) Beat together egg yolks and cream lightly.
11) Add some hot soup into this and mix well.
12) Transfer egg mixture into soup and simmer till thick. Not let the mixture boil.
13) Before serving, add remaining lettuce shreds.
14) Serve soup into plates and with a bowl of crisp bread croutons.
Calories 539 Calories from Fat 343
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 39 g59.5%
Saturated Fat 21.7 g108.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 283.8 mg94.6%
Sodium 675.7 mg28.2%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g10.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.5%
Sugars 19.8 g
Protein 19 g37%
Vitamin A 78.8% Vitamin C 13.8%
Calcium 34.6% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet