1. Heat oven to 240C/220C fan/gas 9.
2. In a large roasting tin in a single layer place the tomatoes, drizzling over 3 tablespoon of oil let it roast for 20 minutes.
3. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, pinch the tomatoes off the vines using a fork and add into a liquidiser with the roasting juices.
4. Put in a good dose of salt, some black pepper, the sugar, the basil leaves and another 3 tablespoon oil, then liquidise.
5. Run through a sieve into a saucepan and gently reheat before serving.
6. Ladle into warm bowls.
7.Drizzle oil and garnish with small basil leaves.