Lightside Potato Soup
|Baking potatoes||6 Large, peeled and cubed|
|Carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded or sliced|
|Chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs), divided|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), finley chopped|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Skim milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Low fat dairy sour cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Reduced calorie margarine||2 Tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||10 Drop|
|Instant mashed potato flakes||2 Tablespoon|
|Dill weed||1 Teaspoon|
1) In a stockpot or a 6-quart Dutch oven, add 4 cups of chicken broth and the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or till the ingredients have tendered.
2) Mash half of the cooked carrots and onions.
3) In a 10-inch skillet, cook the onion and celery in cooking oil till the vegetables are tender and add potatoes.
4) Stir in the remaining 2 chicken broth cups along with skim milk, margarine, sour cream, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
5) Cover and cook over low flame for 10 minutes.
6) Serve hot or cold, garnished with dillweed.
If preferred, potato flakes can be added, 1 tablespoon at a time, till the soup has reached the desired consistency.
Calories 573 Calories from Fat 110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g19.1%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.4 mg1.5%
Sodium 1242.8 mg51.8%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.8%
Sugars 12.9 g
Protein 17 g33.1%
Vitamin A 65.3% Vitamin C 62.9%
Calcium 23.9% Iron 28.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet