Vegan Rice Soup
|Brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), dry|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Carrots||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Peppers||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Cauliflower||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), chopped|
|Cold water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Nutritional yeast||3 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Caraway seed||1 Teaspoon|
In a medium saucepan soak the brown rice overnight.
Drain the water and add 1 ¾ cups of water to the rice. Place the saucepan on a medium flame and bring water to a boil.
Then reduce the flame, and boil the rice until tender. Keep aside for later.
1. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan or a stock pot, cover the chopped vegetables with just enough water to steam them
2. Place the saucepan on a medium flame and bring the water to a boil
3. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer the vegetables for 15 minutes or until they are tender.
4. When cooked take pan off the heat and drain the remaining water. Keep aside
5. In another saucepan, melt the butter over a medium flame.
6. Add the flour and to the butter and sauté for 2 minutes.
7. Stir in the water to form a smooth mixture.
8. Further stir in the yeast, salt and spices into the liquid and simmer on a low flame.
9. When the soup has started to thicken, add the cooked rice and steamed vegetables.
10. Continue simmering the soup while stirring constantly till the soup is heated.
11. Ladle the hot soup into individual soup plates or into a large soup tureen.
12. Serve hot.