Soup Beans The Way Mama Does Em
|Dry pinto beans||16 Ounce|
|Sugar cured country ham slice||4 Large, chopped into bite-size pieces|
1. Clean the beans thoroughly to remove any rocks or bad ones.
2. Wash thoroughly for 5 to 6 times and allow it to soak in water overnight. The water should be 1 inch above the beans.
3. Boil the beans in the same water next morning.
4. Add ham pieces and stirring intermittently, bring to boil and lower the heat.
5. Cover it and allow simmering for about 2 to 3 hours or till beans turn tender. Add more water, if required.
6. The final stage will be firm, whole beans in thick broth called pot likker.
7. Serve immediately or as desired.
1. The broth remains unspoiled even after 2 days.