Hearty Red Lentil Soup
|Dry red lentils||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Mustard seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped carrots||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped green pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped tomato||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Additional)|
1. Wash the lentils thoroughly and drain them.
2. Transfer the lentils into a medium stock pot or saucepan and cover with 4 cups of water.
3. Place the saucepan on a medium flame and cook the lentils for 30 minutes or until they are tender. Cover the pan and keep aside until required.
4. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan or a stock pot, heat the oil over a medium flame.
5. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, add the cumin.
6. When the cumin crackles, add the coriander, curry and chili powder and sauté for 30 seconds.
7. To the spices in the pan, add the chopped carrots, celery, peppers and tomatoes. Sauté the vegetables for 5 minutes till well coated with the spices.
8. Add the cooked lentils along with the cooking liquid and additional 2 cups of water and stir well.
9. Reduce the heat and simmer the lentils and vegetables for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
10. Ladle the hot soup into individual soup bowls or into a large soup tureen.
11. Garnish with fresh coriander if you like and serve lemon on the side.
12. Serve hot with crusty bread.