Classic Pea Soup
|Dried yellow peas||1 Pound|
|Salt pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||2 3⁄4 Quart|
|Onions||3 Medium, minced|
|Carrots||2 , cubed|
|Celery leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), minced|
|Parsley sprigs||1 , minced|
1) Thoroughly wash the peas and drain well.
2) In a large kettle, add peas along with the remaining ingredients.
3) Place the kettle over high heat and bring it to a boil for 2 minutes.
4) Take away from heat and let it stand for 1 hour.
5) After an hour, place the kettle over heat and again bring to a boil.
6) Reduce heat to low and cover with lid. Allow simmering for another hour or so, until the peas are tender.
7) Adjust seasoning of salt and pepper.
8) Strain off the soup into the soup bowls or puree in a blender to have a thick consistency.
9) Serve warm by garnishing with parsley sprig.