Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
|Broccoli||1 1⁄2 Pound, washed and trimmed|
|Yellow onions||2 Cup (32 tbs), sliced|
|Butter||5 Tablespoon, divided|
|Chicken broth/Vegetable broth||7 Cup (112 tbs), divided (Gluten Free)|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Rice flour/Gluten-free flour blend||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dijon mustard||2 Tablespoon (Gluten Free)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shredded sharp cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Cut a few florets off the broccoli and divide into small sections. Simmer in lightly salted water for 2 minutes. Drain and immerse in cold water to stop cooking. Set aside.
2. Cut remaining broccoli, including stalks, into small pieces. Place in a large saucepan or stockpot.
3. Add onions and 3 tablespoons of butter to saucepan. Sauté over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups of the broth and oregano to the saucepan; simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
4. Carefully process hot mixture in batches in a blender until smooth, or use an immersion blender inside the pot to process soup; then remove soup from pot.
5. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the large pan or pot. Stir in gluten-free flour and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Stir in mustard, salt and pepper.
6. Gradually add processed mixture and remaining 4 cups of broth. Continue to cook while stirring until mixture begins to bubble.
7. Add milk and cheese. Stir until smooth and cheese is melted. Add remaining broccoli florets and heat through. If desired, top with additional shredded cheese when serving.