Capitol Hill Bean Soup
|Dried navy beans||1 Pound|
|Ham bone||1 Pound|
|Mashed potatoes||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chopped onion||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
1) Prepare the beans by sorting and washing.
2) In a Dutch oven, put the beans and pour in enough water to cover.
3) Allow the beans to soak for overnight.
4) Drain excess water from the beans and add ham bone.
5) Pour in water to cover all.
6) Place the Dutch oven on heat and bring the water to a boil by putting the lid.
7) Reduce heat to low and allow simmering for another 1 hours.
8) Add potatoes, celery, onion, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper and again simmer for another 1 hour or until the beans turn soft.
9) Remove ham on a separate dish, dice properly and return back to soup.
10) Serve warm with bread or rice.