1) In a saute pan, caramelize the onions until golden inn olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.
2) Add the shallots,garlic and leeks. Saute it all together and add to the stock pot.
3) Then in the same saute pan add your fennel and apples. Cook for 5 minutes
4) Add the thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper. Then add to stock pot.
5) Add the broth, water and apple cider and simmer until tender which might take about 45 minutes.
6) Puree in blender and adjust seasoning add zest of a lemon and some grated nutmeg.
7) Serve in your favorite soup bowl and enjoy!