Iced Sweet Pea Soup
|Coriander seeds||2 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Vidalia/Other sweet onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), minced|
|Chicken stock||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Fresh peas/Thawed frozen petite peas||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Grated coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Spinach leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground white pepper||To Taste (To Taste)|
|Creme fraiche||3 Tablespoon|
|Chopped fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Assemble the mise en place trays.
2. In a small saute pan, toast the coriander seeds over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until they begin to smoke and release their oils. Transfer to a plate to cool and then place in a spice grinder and process until fine.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, reduce the heat, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions soften, but do not brown. Add the ground coriander and stock, increase the heat to medium, and cook for about 2 minutes, until heated through. Bring to a simmer and stir in the peas and coconut. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Stir in the cream and spinach and cook for about 1 minute, or until the spinach begins to wilt.
4. Transfer to a blender or a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Blend or process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into a glass or ceramic bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours, or until thoroughly chilled. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
5. Ladle the soup into 6 well-chilled, shallow soup bowls. Garnish each serving with a dollop of creme fraiche and a sprinkling of cilantro. Serve immediately.