Cream Of Asparagus Soup
|Fresh asparagus||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Chopped onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Break or cut off tough ends of asparagus stalks. Wash asparagus tips well with cold water; if necessary, use a soft brush to remove grit. With vegetable parer, scrape skin and scales from lower part of stalk only. With sharp knife, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
2. In medium saucepan, bring asparagus, onion, and 1 cup water to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes, or until very tender.
3. Rub cooked asparagus and liquid through a sieve. Measure 2 cups into medium bowl. Blend in cream and milk.
4. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Slowly stir in asparagus mixture.
5. Cook over medium heat, stirring, just until bubbles form around edge. Season with salt and pepper.