Red Pepper Soup
|Carrots||3 , peeled|
|Shallots||3 , peeled|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Pear||1 , peeled and quartered|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Chicken stock||1 Quart|
|Dried crushed red pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Dash|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Tarragon sprigs||4 (Or To Taste)|
1. Slice thinly 6 of the peppers, the carrots, shallots, garlic, and pear.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet and saute the sliced vegetables and pear over medium-low heat until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add the stock, dried red pepper, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
4. While the soup is cooking, roast the remaining red peppers directly on the gas flame, rotating them with tongs until completely charred. Put them in a paper bag for 5 minutes to sweat. Wash off the blackened skin under cold running water and remove seeds. Drain on paper towel.
5. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender, adding one of the roasted red peppers. Pour the pureed soup back into the pan and reheat over low flame.
6. Julienne the remaining red pepper into fine strips and add them to the soup. Garnish with tarragon and serve with French bread.
Calories 243 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.3%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.2 mg8.7%
Sodium 321.4 mg13.4%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.2%
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 7 g13.3%
Vitamin A 216.7% Vitamin C 366.8%
Calcium 4.6% Iron 9.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet