Split Pea soup recipes are one of the world's most comforting dishes. Jason Hill of Chef Tips shows you how to make split pea soup. Enjoy this delicious soup recipe!
Dried split peas
1 Pound, rinsed and sorted
1⁄2 , diced
2 , halved and sliced
2 , halved
2 Clove (10 gm), skinned and minced
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced small
8 Cup (128 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1. To begin this split pea soup recipe, place chopped onions, carrots, celery and garlic in a bowl and set aside.
2. Heat your soup pot on high heat.
3. Add bacon to 3 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Saute the bacon until crisp and softened. If you prefer a vegetarian split pea soup, omit the bacon and ham.
5. Add vegetables and saute until softened.
6. Stir in the peas for about 1 minute.
7. Add 8 cups chicken broth and drop in bay leaf. If you are making the split pea and ham soup, add the ham hock at this time.
8. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for one hour.
9. Or, for a crock pot split pea soup, transfer to a slow cooker and heat on high for 4 hours.
10. Mash the green split pea soup and serve topped with a drizzle of sour cream and a dash of white pepper.
There is nothing like a bowl of warm hearty soup, specially when it is homemade. The chef here has prepared the split pea soup with plenty of fresh vegetables and bacon. Top the soup with a little sour cream and dash of white pepper, then enjoy this easy heartwarming healthy soup!