Old Fashioned Chicken Soup
|Stewing chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound, cut up|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White onions||1⁄2 Pound|
|Noodles||1 Cup (16 tbs), uncooked|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
1. Wash chicken. Place in large kettle, and cover with 5 cups water. Add seasonings.
2. Simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours, or until chicken is just tender.
3. While chicken is cooking, prepare vegetables: Wash carrots; peel; cut in 1-inch chunks. Wash and peel onions.
4. When chicken is done, remove it, along with bay leaf, from stock. Skim off as much fat as possible from stock.
5. Bring back to boiling. Add carrots and onions; simmer 45 minutes.
6. While vegetables are cooking, remove skin and bones from chicken, leaving chicken in large pieces. Save the scraps for sandwiches or salad.
7. Ten minutes before vegetables are done, add noodles and chicken pieces. Cook 10 minutes longer.
8. Sprinkle with parsley.