Bear Mountain Butternut Squash Soup
|Cinnamon croutons||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and coarsely chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Butternut squash||2 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 medium sized one)|
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Canned chicken broth/1 3/4 cups old-fashioned chicken broth||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 can)|
|Half and half/Light cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Prepare Cinnamon Croutons.
2. Cut off root and trim dark green top from leek; cut leek lengthwise in half. Cut white and pale green part crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; discard dark green part. Rinse leek in bowl of cold water, swishing to remove sand. Transfer to colander to drain, leaving sand in bottom of bowl.
3. In 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add carrots, onion, and leek; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add squash, water, broth, and salt; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until squash is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Spoon half of squash mixture into blender. Cover, with center part of cover removed to let steam escape; puree until smooth. Pour into bowl. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture.
5. Return puree to same clean Dutch oven; stir in half-and-half. Heat through (do not boil). Serve soup hot with Cinnamon Croutons.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1359 Calories from Fat 492
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86.2%
Saturated Fat 33.2 g165.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 141.5 mg47.2%
Sodium 1425.3 mg59.4%
Total Carbohydrates 210 g70%
Dietary Fiber 33.6 g134.4%
Sugars 47.2 g
Protein 31 g62.8%
Vitamin A 2909.8% Vitamin C 472.2%
Calcium 90.4% Iron 78.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet