1. In a big pot, caramelize garlic, chopped carrots, celery, and onions in olive oil.
2. Once caramelized, add in lentils and toast for 3-4 minutes.
3. Next add diced ham and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
4. Add the diced potatoes to a bowl of cold water so they don't turn brown. Once the chicken stock starts to boil, add in potatoes.
5. Add fresh oregano and adjust salt and pepper. Add the smoked ham-hocks for additional flavor and cook further.
6. Ladle into bowls and serve with cornbread.