Black Bean Soup
|Dry black beans||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||3 Large, peeled and chopped|
|Onions||3 Medium, chopped|
|Celery stalks with leaves||3 , chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), peeled|
|Dried thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Smoked ham hocks||1 1⁄2 Pound (2 Pieces)|
|Water||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon slices||12 (Paper Thin Size)|
1. In large bowl, place beans with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Soak overnight.
2. Drain and rinse beans. In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onions, and celery; cook, stirring, until tender, for about 10 minutes. Add garlic, bay leaves, and thyme; cook 1 minute.
3. Add beans, ham hocks, water, and pepper to Dutch oven; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until beans are very tender, about 2 hours. Discard ham hocks and bay leaves.
4. Spoon one-fourth of bean mixture into blender. Cover, with center part of cover removed to let steam escape; puree until very smooth. Pour into bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture. Return the puree to same clean Dutch oven; stir in sherry and salt, and all but 2 tablespoons parsley. Cook 5 minutes.
5. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, garnish with lemon slices, and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley.