Spicy Shrimp and Spinach Soup
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Pickled jalapeno peppers||2 , seeded and minced|
|Onions||2 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic cloves||3 Large, minced|
|Reduced sodium chicken broth||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Fish broth/Bottled clam juice||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Fresh lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Medium shrimp||1 Pound|
|Spinach leaves||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped cilantro||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Limes||2 Small, cut into wedges|
1. In a large skillet, warm the butter over medium heat until melted. Add the jalapenos, onions, and garlic, and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the oregano, thyme, and bay leaf.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth and fish broth to a boil over high heat. Add the sauteed vegetables and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, halve and peel the avocado. Remove and discard the pit. Cut the flesh into 1/2-inch dice. In a small bowl, toss the avocado with 1 tablespoon of the lime juice. Set aside.
4. Increase the heat under the broth to high and return to a boil. Add the shrimp and cook just until they are firm and the shells turn bright pink, about 3 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat under the shrimp. Stir in the spinach and the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, cover, and allow to steam for 2 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper.
6. Serve the soup with the avocado, cilantro, scallions, Parmesan, and lime wedges.