Tomato and Basil Soup
|Ripe tomatoes||2 1⁄2 Pound, cut in half (1.1 Kilogram)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Balsamic vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Dark brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Vegetable stock||1 1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Low fat natural yogurt||6 Tablespoon|
|Freshly chopped basil||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Basil leaves||4 Small (For Garnish)|
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas Mark 6. Evenly spread the tomatoes and unpeeled garlic in a single layer in a large roasting tin.
2. Mix the oil and vinegar together. Drizzle over the tomatoes and sprinkle with the dark brown sugar.
3. Roast the tomatoes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until tender and lightly charred in places.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the softened flesh of the garlic from the papery skin. Place with the charred tomatoes in a nylon sieve over a saucepan.
5. Press the garlic and tomato through the sieve with the back of a wooden spoon.
6. When all the flesh has been sieved, add the tomato puree and vegetable stock to the pan. Heat gently, stirring occasionally.
7. In a small bowl beat the yogurt and basil together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir the basil yogurt into the soup. Garnish with basil leaves and serve immediately.