Fish Soup with Vegetables and Red Pepper Sauce
|Whole wheat bread slices||2 , crusts removed|
|Fish broth/Bottled clam juice / reduced sodium chicken broth||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, coarsely chopped|
|Garlic clove||2 Large, chopped|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|White of leek||3 Large, thinly sliced|
|Shredded savoy cabbage||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||2 , chopped|
|Cod fillets/Haddock / ocean perch fillets||1 Pound, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|Grated romano cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread slices and enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil.
3. Squeeze out the water from the bread and transfer the bread to a food processor. Add the bell pepper, garlic, and cayenne, and puree the mixture until smooth. With the machine still running, dribble in the oil; the resulting sauce should be thick. Set the sauce aside.
4. Add the leeks, cabbage, and tomatoes to the boiling broth, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the vegetables until they are tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Add the fish, cover, and cook until the fish is just firm and opaque, about 3 minutes. Pass the cheese and the red pepper sauce in separate bowls to spoon on top of the soup.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1608 Calories from Fat 624
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 70 g108.4%
Saturated Fat 14.7 g73.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 235.1 mg78.4%
Sodium 3151.4 mg131.3%
Total Carbohydrates 108 g35.9%
Dietary Fiber 19.2 g76.8%
Sugars 35 g
Protein 138 g276.5%
Vitamin A 246.9% Vitamin C 529.7%
Calcium 78.9% Iron 75.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet