Split Pea Soup
|Green split peas||1 Pound|
|Water||2 1⁄2 Quart|
|Onions||3 , chopped|
|Carrots||2 , peeled and diced|
|Celery stalk tops||2 , chopped|
|Parsley sprigs||3 , chopped|
|Sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1 .Wash peas and soak overnight if directions on package say to do so. Drain.
2. Place peas, ham bone, water, onion, carrots, bay leaf, celery tops, parsley, salt, and pepper in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Turn heat to low. Cover with vac-control valve closed. Simmer about 2 hours or until peas are mushy.
4. Remove ham bone. Remove any bits of ham from bone and reserve. Put soup through food press.
5. Return soup to Dutch oven. Add bits of ham. Heat thoroughly.
6. Just before serving stir in sherry and taste for seasoning, adding additional salt and pepper if needed.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1968 Calories from Fat 137
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.1%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.4%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 52.7 mg17.6%
Sodium 1482.1 mg61.8%
Total Carbohydrates 332 g110.7%
Dietary Fiber 127.8 g511.1%
Sugars 61.3 g
Protein 137 g273.6%
Vitamin A 436.3% Vitamin C 89.1%
Calcium 43.5% Iron 127.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet