Pepperoni Black Bean Soup
|Dried black beans||2 Pound|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pepperoni||1⁄2 Pound, cut into 1/2-inch slices|
|Onions||3 Large, sliced|
|Boneless smoked pork butt||1|
|Dry red wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Oranges||3 , peeled and sectioned|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Combine beans with water in a large kettle. Bring to boiling and boil 2 minutes; cover. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.
2. Bring beans to boiling again, add pepperoni and onions; reduce heat; cover. Simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until beans are tender. Add pork and wine. Simmer 1 1/4 hours, or until meat is tender.
3. Remove meat and keep warm. With a slotted spoon, remove pieces of pepperoni and about 3 cups of whole beans. Puree remaining beans and soup in a covered electric-blender container or press through a sieve. Return to kettle along with pepperoni and the whole beans.
4. Add sections from 2 of the oranges and the salt. Taste and add additional salt, if you wish. Bring to boiling; ladle into soup bowls. Garnish each serving with a section of reserved orange; sprinkle with parsley.
5. Slice pork butt thin and pass it around on a separate plate to eat with mustard and whole-wheat bread.