Egg Drop Soup With Mustard Greens
|Fat trimmed boned pork loin||1⁄4 Pound|
|Lemon grass stalk/6 strips lemon peel, yellow part 1/2 by 3 inch each||2 Ounce|
|Fat skimmed chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Mustard greens||1 Pound|
|Rice noodles/Chinese rice sticks / mai fun||1⁄4 Pound|
|Shelled deveined shrimp/26-30 per pound||1⁄4 Pound, rinsed and drained|
|Asian fish sauce||1 Tablespoon (Nuoc Mam / Nam Pla)|
|Chopped green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Asian red chili sauce/Hot sauce||1 Tablespoon|
1. Cut pork into 1/4-inch-thick slices; then cut slices into pieces about 2 inches long.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart nonstick pan over high heat, stir pork until most of the pink is gone, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour into a bowl.
3. Trim and discard root ends and coarse outer leaves from lemon grass. Crush lemon grass slightly.
4. Add lemon grass and broth to pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer to blend flavors, about 15 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, rinse and drain mustard greens. Discard tough stems. Cut greens into 2- to 3-inch pieces.
6. Add mustard greens, noodles, and shrimp to broth mixture. Simmer just until noodles are tender to bite and shrimp are pink and opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift out and discard lemon grass from broth. Return pork and juices to pan.
7. Break eggs into broth mixture and stir gently, breaking yolks, until eggs are set, about 1 minute.
8. Ladle soup into wide bowls. Add fish sauce, green onions, and red chili sauce to taste.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1430 Calories from Fat 308
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71.2%
Saturated Fat 14.9 g74.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 675.8 mg225.3%
Sodium 2910.2 mg121.3%
Total Carbohydrates 139 g46.4%
Dietary Fiber 20.2 g80.9%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 115 g229.8%
Vitamin A 1044.9% Vitamin C 616.9%
Calcium 83.2% Iron 110.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet