Beef And Flat Noodle Soup
|Chuck steak/Null||1 Pound (500 Gram)|
|Beef stock/Null||3 Pint (1.8 Liter)|
|Star anise/Null||4 (Null)|
|Cinnamon stick/Null||1 Large (Null)|
|Black peppercorns/Null||1 Teaspoon (Null)|
|Sweet onions/4 shallots||2 , thinly sliced (Null)|
|Garlic/Null||4 Clove (20 gm), crushed (Null)|
|Fresh root ginger/Null||3 Inch, finely sliced (7 Centimeter Long)|
|Bean sprouts/Null||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Flat rice noodles/Null||8 Ounce (250 Grams)|
|Onions spring/Null||6 , thinly sliced (Null)|
|Fresh coriander leaves/Null||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (A Handful)|
|Beef fillet/Null||8 Ounce, thinly sliced (250 Gram)|
|Fish sauce/Null||2 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Red bird's eye chilies/Null||2 (To Garnish)|
|For nau cham sauce|
|Red chilies/Null||2 , chopped (Null)|
|Garlic/Null||1 Clove (5 gm) (Null)|
|Caster sugar/Null||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Lime juice/Null||1 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Rice vinegar/Null||1 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Fish sauce/Null||3 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Water/Null||4 Tablespoon (Null)|
|Bean sprouts/Null||4 Tablespoon (To Serve)|
|Spring onions/Null||2 Tablespoon, sliced (To Serve)|
|Red chili/Null||1 Large, sliced (To Serve)|
|Salt/Null||To Taste (Null)|
|Pepper/Null||To Taste (Null)|
1. Heat a large dry frying pan until very hot and sear the chuck steak on all sides until brown and charred.
2. Put the beef into a large saucepan with the stock or water, star anise, cinnamon, black peppercorns, 1 sliced onion or 2 shallots, the garlic and ginger. Bring to the boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface with a slotted spoon, and continue to boil for about
10 minutes. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the beef is tender.
3. Blanch the bean sprouts in boiling water for 1 minute.
4. Cook the noodles in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until just soft. Do not overcook them. Drain well and put into 4 large soup bowls. Arrange the bean sprouts, spring onions, coriander leaves and the remaining onions or shallots over the noodles.
5. To make the nuoc cham sauce, pound the chopped chillies, garlic and sugar until smooth, using a pestle and mortar. Add the lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce and measured water and blend together well. Put the mixture into a small bowl.
6. When the beef from the broth is tender, lift it out, slice it thinly and divide it between the soup bowls with the slices of raw fillet and garnish with the red bird's eye chillies.
7. Strain the broth, return it to the pan and season to taste with fish sauce, salt and pepper.
Calories 252 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.6%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g19.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 37.5 mg12.5%
Sodium 881.7 mg36.7%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g5.2%
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 14 g28.5%
Vitamin A 3.8% Vitamin C 22.5%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 9.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet