|Butter/Margarine||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Onion||1 Medium, skinned and thinly sliced|
|Carrot||1 Large, peeled and thinly sliced|
|Celery sticks||2 , washed, trimmed and thinly sliced|
|Chicken stock||2 Pint (1.1 Liter)|
|Snipped chives||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
|Lemon slices||4 (For Garnish)|
1. Put the butter into a 2.8 litre (5 pint) ovenproof glass bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds until the butter melts. Add the onions, carrot and celery and mix well. Cover with cling film, pulling back one corner to vent, and microwave on HIGH for 8 minutes until the vegetables soften.
2. Meanwhile, thinly pare the lemons using a potato peeler. Put the rinds in a small ovenproof bowl and pour over 300 ml (1/2 pint) boiling water. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes. Drain. Squeeze the juice from the lemons to give 75-90 ml (5-6 tbsp).
3. Add the blanched lemon rind and the juice, stock and bay leaves to the softened vegetables; season well. Three-quarters cover with cling film. Microwave on HIGH for about 8 minutes until boiling. Stir and microwave on HIGH for a further 10 minutes until the vegetables are very soft.
4. Cool the soup a little, remove the bay leaves and then puree in a blender or food processor until quite smooth.
5. Return the soup to a clean ovenproof glass bowl and stir in the cream. Microwave on LOW for about 5-6 minutes until hot but not boiling, stirring frequently. Adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve the soup hot or chilled, garnished with snipped chives and lemon slices.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 714 Calories from Fat 317
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55%
Saturated Fat 17.9 g89.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 89.8 mg29.9%
Sodium 1899.3 mg79.1%
Total Carbohydrates 80 g26.8%
Dietary Fiber 14.5 g57.9%
Sugars 29.1 g
Protein 30 g60.6%
Vitamin A 279% Vitamin C 240.1%
Calcium 25.7% Iron 27.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet