Vichyssoise Potato Leek Soup
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks (4 Pieces, Any Variety)|
|Leeks||2 Bunch (200 gm), washed twice thoroughly, chopped (Set Aside 1 Cup Of Best Parts For Garnish)|
|Dried sage||1 Teaspoon|
|White wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock/Water||2 Quart|
|White pepper||To Taste|
1. In a large soup pot over medium heat, heat olive oil 1 minute. Add onion, potatoes, and all but 1 cup of the chopped leeks; cook 10 minutes until onions turn translucent.
2. Add sage, bay leaf, and wine. Cook 1 more minute. Add stock and bring to a full boil.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 45 minutes, until potatoes are very tender and start to fall apart.
4. Carefully puree the soup in a blender in small batches. Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
5. Steam, boil, or saute the remaining cup of leeks, and serve the soup garnished with a spoonful of leeks in the center. This soup may be served either hot or chilled.