Roasted Tomato And Chilli Soup With Black Olive Cream
|Ripe tomatoes||3 Pound (1.5 Kilogram, Preferably Plum)|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Caster sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Red chili||1 Large|
|Shallots/1 onion, chopped||4|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Water||1 Pint (600 Milliliter)|
|Lime juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Pitted black olives||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Creme fraiche||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
1. Cut the tomatoes in half lengthways and, holding each half over a bowl, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Reserve the tomato seeds and any juice.
2. Lightly grease a baking sheet with a little of the oil and lay the tomatoes on it, cut-side up. Sprinkle them with about 4 tablespoons of the remaining oil, the sea salt and sugar. Add the chilli and put the baking sheet in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 45-50 minutes. Remove the chilli after 20 minutes, when it is well charred and blistered. When cool, peel, deseed and chop it roughly.
3. Meanwhile, to make the olive cream, chop the olives very finely, fold them into the creme fraiche and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over a moderate heat, add the shallots or onion and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until lightly golden and softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
5. Add the roasted tomatoes with any liquid from the baking sheet, the reserved seeds and juice, the chilli and the measured water. Bring the soup to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
6. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Strain through a sieve and return to the pan to reheat. Season to taste with salt, pepper and lime juice.