Jaliscan Hominy Soup
|Country style spareribs||3 Pound (1350 Grams)|
|Lard/Vegetable oil||30 Milliliter|
|Chopped white onion||250 Milliliter (1 Cup)|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), thinly sliced|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon, coarsely crushed|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Liter (1 1/2 Quarts)|
|Chicken||3 Pound (1350 Grams, Backs, Wings And Necks)|
|Pig foot||1 , cracked, if desired|
|Tomato salsa||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Fresh)|
|Canned hominy||29 Ounce, rinsed, drained (1 Can Almost Equivalent To 825 Grams)|
|Shredded iceberg lettuce||1|
|Sliced green onions||2|
1. Trim fat from spareribs. Cook ribs, 1/2 at a time, in lard in 6- to 7-quart (6- to 7-L) Dutch oven over medium heat, turning occasionally, until brown on all sides, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove ribs from pan.
2. Add white onion to pan; saute over medium heat until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic, salt, oregano and cumin; saute 30 seconds.
3. Add water, chicken, pig's foot and spareribs to pan. Heat over medium heat to boiling; reduce heat to very low. Simmer, covered, skimming foam occasionally, until ribs are tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
4. Remove and discard chicken and pig's foot. Remove spareribs to plate; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard fat and bones from ribs. Break meat into large chunks; return to soup. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours or overnight.
5. Prepare Fresh Tomato Salsa.
6. Remove and discard fat from top of soup. Stir in hominy. Heat over medium heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Pass lettuce, radishes, green onions, lime wedges and Fresh Tomato Salsa to be added according to individual taste.