Turkey Barley Soup
|Meaty turkey carcass||1 (1 Carcass From A 16-Pound Bird)|
|Celery stalk||9 , cut into 1/2-inch wide pieces|
|Carrots||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 inch wide pieces|
|Onions||2 Medium, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds|
|Garlic clove||6 Large, peeled and chopped|
|Parsnips||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds|
|Dill||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Barley||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) In a large stockpot, place together turkey carcass, vegetables, 1 cup dill, seasonings, and water.
2) Heat the turkey mixture to boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 3 hours.
3) Using a ladle skim the foam and discard, as it cooks.
4) Take the carcass out of the stockpot, and allow to cool and shred meat.
5) Return the meat to the stockpot; and add barley.
6) Simmer the meat mixture for 40 minutes.
7) Stir in the remaining dill and and serve hot, garnish with chopped parsley if desired.