Hot Black Bean Soup
|Dried black beans||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Cold water||1 1⁄4 Liter (5 Cups / 1250 Milliliter)|
|Lard/Vegetable oil||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoons)|
|Chopped white onion||125 Milliliter (1/2 Cup)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato||1 Large, peeled, seeded, chopped|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (5 Milliliter)|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon (2 Milliliter)|
|Ground dried pequin chili||1⁄4 Teaspoon (1 Milliliter)|
|Jalapeno chilies||2 , thinly sliced (Fresh, Adjust Quantity As Per Taste)|
|Sliced green onion||1 Tablespoon|
1. Rinse beans thoroughly in sieve under cold running water, picking out debris or blemished beans.
2. Combine beans, water and bay leaves in 3- to 4-quart (3- to 4-L) heavy saucepan. Heat over high heat to boiling; immediately reduce heat to very low. Simmer, covered, just until beans are tender but not soft, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
3. Heat lard in medium skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; saute until soft, about 4 minutes. Add tomato, salt, oregano and pequfn chili; cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture is almost dry, about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato mixture to beans; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until beans are soft, about 30 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves.
5. Press soup mixture a few times with bean masher or potato masher to very roughly mash beans.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1327 Calories from Fat 444
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g76.1%
Saturated Fat 18.7 g93.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 42.7 mg14.2%
Sodium 2044.8 mg85.2%
Total Carbohydrates 176 g58.7%
Dietary Fiber 40.9 g163.4%
Sugars 15.7 g
Protein 54 g107.4%
Vitamin A 60.4% Vitamin C 96.1%
Calcium 45.3% Iron 82%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet