Roasted Vegetable Soup
|Acorn/Butternut squash||1 Medium, seeded (cut into eighths)|
|Carrots||3 Medium, peeled and coarsely sliced|
|Zucchini||3 Medium, peeled and coarsely sliced|
|Red onion||1 Large, quartered|
|Cauliflower||1⁄2 , cut into florets|
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|Canola oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dried basil||1 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Chicken broth||7 Cup (112 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC.
2. Combine squash, carrots, zucchini, red onion, cauliflower and garlic in a baking tray.
3. Drizzle the vegetables with some canola oil, basil, salt and pepper.
4. Before placing the dish in the oven, make sure the squash is placed cut side down on the tray.
5. Roast the vegetables in the oven for 50 minutes or until tender.
6.Using a big spoon, scoop the squash out of its skin and into a food processor.
7. Remove the garlic skin and place it in the food processor.
8. Add carrots, zucchini, onion and cauliflower.
9. Puree this mixture, slowly add half the amount of chicken broth and puree until a smooth texture is made.
10. Place the pureed mixture in a large saucepan and add the remaining broth. Mix well and boil through.
11. Serve the roasted vegetable soup in warm soup bowls along with toasted garlic bread on the side.
Calories 309 Calories from Fat 171
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g29.8%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.4%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1015.9 mg42.3%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.4 g29.7%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 6 g12.1%
Vitamin A 119.4% Vitamin C 106.3%
Calcium 15.3% Iron 14.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet