Whether youre starting off the New Year with a southern tradition or just looking for a health dish, Chef Maxwell has the answer black-eyed peas and spinach soup.
1 Tablespoon, minced
Chicken stock/Beef or vegetable
6 Cup (96 tbs)
1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced
Black eyed peas
1 Cup (16 tbs), soaked and par boiled
2 Cup (32 tbs), blanched
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped (red and yellow tomatoes)
1 Tablespoon, chopped
1 Tablespoon, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1 Teaspoon (to taste)
1. In a saute pan on medium high, melt bacon fat, add garlic, ham and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the black eyed peas, onions and stir fry for about 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the chicken stock, mix well and bring it to a boil.
4. Once it starts boiling, add mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, basil, chives, salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Let this simmer for another 3 minutes on medium high until thick. After 3 minutes, switch off the heat and get ready to serve.
5. In a soup bowl, ladle about 4 tablespoonful of the black eyed pea soup and serve hot garnished with some basil leaves.
Here is a healthy black-eyed peas and spinach soup for a traditional southern New Year day. Watch this fantastic video that shows a simple recipe for a flavorful and super delicious soup. Try out this soup on this special occasion to impress your guests. Take a look...