Fresh Vegetable Soup
|Beef shank||1 1⁄2 Pound, trimmed of excess fat (Cross Cuts)|
|Onion||1 , peeled and cut into quarters|
|Garlic clove||1 Small, peeled|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Thyme leaves||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Beef bouillon cubes||3|
|Chopped cabbage||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Fresh green beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Sliced celery||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sliced pared carrot||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Potatoes||2 Large, pared and cut into 1/2 inch cubes|
|Tomatoes||2 , peeled and chopped|
1. For broth, put meat and butter into a 4-quart microwave-oven-safe casserole. Cover with microwave-oven-safe lid. Cook in microwave oven 6 minutes at High, or until meat starts to brown; turn meat over once.
2. Add remaining ingredients for broth. Cook covered 15 minutes at High, or until mixture boils.
3. Stir broth. Cook covered in microwave oven 45 minutes at High, or
until meat is fork-tender; stir twice. Remove from oven.
4. Combine cabbage, green beans, celery, carrot and potato in a 2-quart glass casserole. Add 1 cup broth. Cover with an all-glass lid or plastic wrap. Cook in microwave oven 12 minutes at High, or until tender; stir once.
5. Remove meat from broth and cut meat into pieces. Add to broth along with cooked vegetables, salt and tomatoes; stir. Heat covered in microwave oven to serving temperature (about 6 minutes at High, or if using Temperature Probe, set at 160°F and at High); stir once.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2091 Calories from Fat 765
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 85 g130.7%
Saturated Fat 33.8 g168.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 338.4 mg112.8%
Sodium 5285.3 mg220.2%
Total Carbohydrates 174 g58%
Dietary Fiber 33 g132.1%
Sugars 33 g
Protein 165 g329.5%
Vitamin A 667.7% Vitamin C 384.3%
Calcium 44.3% Iron 130%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet