Brussels Sprout Soup
|Frozen brussels sprouts||40 Ounce (Four 10 Ounce Packages)|
|Boiling water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Bacon slices||8 , diced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Milk||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Uncooked rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Oregano leaves||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Frozen peas and carrots||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shredded parmesan cheese||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
1. Set out a large saucepot or Dutch oven and a saucepan.
2. Partially thaw frozen Brussels sprouts.
3. Make chicken broth by dissolving bouillon cubes in boiling water. Set aside.
4. Fry in saucepot or Dutch oven the bacon and garlic.
5. Add 3 cups of the broth to saucepot with milk, uncooked rice, and a mixture of oregano leaves, salt, and pepper.
6. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer covered 15 minutes.
7. Add to saucepot the frozen peas and carrots. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
8. Meanwhile, coarsely chop the partially thawed Brussels sprouts. Combine in saucepan the remaining 2 cups of broth, salt, and 2 cups water.
9. Bring to boiling and add the chopped Brussels sprouts. Return to boiling and simmer uncovered 10 minutes, or until tender.
10. Add Brussels sprouts with their cooking liquid to rice mixture. Stir in shredded Parmesan cheese.
Calories 448 Calories from Fat 131
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.4%
Saturated Fat 7 g35.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 39.1 mg13%
Sodium 2201.5 mg91.7%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.7%
Sugars 16.2 g
Protein 24 g47.9%
Vitamin A 104.2% Vitamin C 197.1%
Calcium 48.4% Iron 16.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet