|Cross cut beef shanks||1 Pound|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cabbage head||1 Small, shredded|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Rendered chicken fat/Shortening||1 Tablespoon|
|Snipped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Put meat, bones, and onion into a large, heavy saucepot. Add water and bring to boiling; remove foam. Cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. Remove bones and cut meat into small pieces; return meat to soup.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle cabbage with salt and let stand while soup is cooking. Pour boiling water over cabbage and drain thoroughly.
3. Add drained cabbage to soup when meat is tender. Cook, uncovered, over low heat about 45 minutes. Add sugar and lemon juice; cook 15 minutes longer.
4. Meanwhile, melt fat in a skillet; add flour. Stir over medium heat until flour becomes a deep brown. Gradually add some of the soup, stirring until smooth. Bring to boiling; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly pour flour mixture into soup, stirring constantly to prevent lumping.
5. Add more salt or sugar to taste, if desired. Pour into individual