|Dried pea beans||1 Pound (Use Great Northern)|
|Finely chopped onion||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Finely chopped celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Condensed chicken broth||30 Ounce (Three 10 Ounce Cans)|
|Water||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Ham shanks/2 hocks||1|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce, peeled and chopped (4 To 6 Medium Sized Firm Ripe Tomatoes)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Bring water to boiling in a 6-quart saucepot. Add beans gradually to water so that boiling continues. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside 1 hour.
2. Drain beans, reserving liquid. Re.turn beans to saucepot along with 4 cups of cooking liquid.
3. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion, celery, and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn contents of skillet into saucepot.
4. Combine chicken broth with enough water to make 6 cups. Pour into saucepot.
5. Peel skin from ham shank and cut off excess fat. Add shank and skin to saucepot along with tomatoes, cloves, bay leaf, and pepper. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until ham is tender.
6. Remove ham shank and skin; cool. Transfer soup to a large bowl; remove bay leaf and cloves. Cut meat into pieces and return to soup. Refrigerate, then skim off fat.
7. Transfer soup to saucepot and bring to simmer. Add cheese and stir until melted.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2902 Calories from Fat 1506
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 168 g258.6%
Saturated Fat 91.7 g458.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 609.6 mg203.2%
Sodium 8933.4 mg372.2%
Total Carbohydrates 185 g61.7%
Dietary Fiber 26.7 g106.6%
Sugars 34 g
Protein 167 g334.8%
Vitamin A 157.3% Vitamin C 119.3%
Calcium 193.8% Iron 75.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet