Soup For Winter: Cream Of Potato Soup With Bacon Mushrooms And New Mexico Hatch Green Chilies
|Potatoes||4 Cup (64 tbs), diced|
|Leeks||4 Cup (64 tbs), sliced into 1 inch wide|
|Brown onion||1 Small, diced|
|Diced green chilies||17 Ounce|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Half and half||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chicken stock||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|French fried onions||To Taste|
|Mild cheddar cheese||To Taste, shredded|
1. In a skillet cook down your bacon.
2. When bacon is done remove from skillet and put aside.
3. Now pour bacon grease from the pan and put about 1 Tbsp. of bacon grease back into pan.
4. Add your mushrooms to the skillet and start to saute. Then add a ladle full of chicken stock and cook the mushrooms until they are soft. Add another ladle full of stock if necessary to cook/soften the mushrooms.
5. Once cooked remove mushrooms from the skillet and put them aside for later.
6. Put 1/4 stick butter and 1 to 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in your skillet and sweat down your leeks.
7. Now add your potatoes to your soup pot or stockpot.
8. Add your leeks to the stock pot on top of the potatoes.
9. Pour in enough chicken stock to just cover the potatoes and leeks.
10. Bring the pot to a boil and let boil 1 to 3 minutes then reduce to simmer for 30 minutes +/- until all the contents are soft.
11. Once the potatoes and leeks are soft then take a potato masher and mash for a couple of minutes to make the size of the ingredients smaller and easier for your blender or immersion blender to handle. You can use a food processor as well to blend the soup.
12. Once the soup has been blended put the soup back in you soup pot and bring back to a simmer for a minute or two.
13. Now slowly add your 1 or 2 cups of cream to get the desired color you want and simmer for one minute or two and keep stirring. Add some black pepper. Cream soups LOVE black pepper.
14. Now add your bacon and stir it in well for a minute or so.
15. Add your mushrooms now and stir them in well and simmer for about one minute.
16. Add your green chilies now and stir in well and simmer for about one minute.
17. Finally allow the soup to simmer for another three minutes or so to let all the flavors blend together while you stir it constantly to prevent sticking.
18. Ladle you soup into a large soup bowl and add some french fried onion to the center of the bowl and then add a sprinkle of red chili flakes for more heat and then a nice ring of mild cheddar around the bowl. Eat and enjoy!
Calories 656 Calories from Fat 315
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g55.3%
Saturated Fat 15.8 g79.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 79.9 mg26.6%
Sodium 963.9 mg40.2%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.6%
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g27.6%
Sugars 15 g
Protein 24 g48.4%
Vitamin A 49.5% Vitamin C 396.5%
Calcium 17.4% Iron 25.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet