|Fresh beets||3 Pound|
|Pear juice/Apple juice||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
|Bosc pears||3 Medium|
|Grated lemon zest||1 Tablespoon|
1. Wash, trim, peel and quarter the beets. Place the beets and the pear juice in a large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat to low and simmer about 15 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Meanwhile, peel, core and halve the pears.
2. Turn the beets and the cooking liquid into a strainer set over a large bowl; do not press the beets. Set aside the bowl of liquid and reserve the beets for another use.
3. Return the liquid to the pan, add the pears and lemon zest, and simmer over medium heat 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let the pears cool 20 minutes.
4. Puree the pears and liquid in a food processor or blender. Pour the puree into a shallow pan and freeze 3 hours, or until firm.
5. Let the sorbet thaw at room temperature 5 minutes, then scoop it into the food processor or blender and process it about 45 seconds, or just until spoonable, pulsing the machine on and off once or twice.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1435 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.6%
Saturated Fat 0.41 g2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1156.4 mg48.2%
Total Carbohydrates 339 g113.2%
Dietary Fiber 56.2 g225%
Sugars 251.6 g
Protein 24 g48.3%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 1069.7%
Calcium 28.6% Iron 66.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet