Sole Bonne Femme
|Sole fillets||2 , skinned and filleted, skin and bones reserved for fish stock|
|Button mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound (100 Grams)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 , freshly squeezed|
|Dry white wine||125 Milliliter (1/2 Wine Glass)|
|Parsley sprigs||3 , chopped|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 Grams)|
|Single cream||4 Tablespoon|
1. Peel and finely chop the shallot.
2. Wash or wipe the mushrooms, stem them and slice the caps finely. Reserve the stems separately.
3. Grease the insides of a large heavy saucepan generously with butter.
4. Make a bed of chopped shallot and place on top the fish fillets folded in half.
5. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
6. Add sliced mushrooms, sprinkle lemon juice and chopped parsley.
7. Pour the wine over the fish.
8. Cover the pan tightly with its lid or with a buttered paper or foil.
9. Place on a medium low flame and poach the fish for 10 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork.
10. At the same time, in another saucepan, make the fish stock in another saucepan by combining the reserved fish bones, mushroom stalks and cover cold water.
11. Bring water to a boil.
12. Reduce heat and simmer stock for 20 minutes.
13. Strain the stock then measure and reserve 1/2 pint (3 dl) of it.
14. When cooked, use a slotted spoon to carefully transfer the fish fillets and mushrooms to a warmed serving platter. Cover with foil to keep warm.
15. Return the poaching wine liquid to a high flame and boil until it is reduced to about 2 tablespoonfuls.
16. Pour in the reserved fish stock and simmer.
17. Make a beurre manie by blending butter and flour into a smooth paste.
18. Add the beurre manie in small pieces to the simmering liquid and whisk until smooth and well blended.
19. Cook, whisking until flour is cooked and sauce is thickened.
20. Take the pan off the heat.
21. To the sauce, add cream and seasonings to taste and blend well.
22. Strain the sauce over the fish fillets and mushrooms.
23. Gratinate under a broiler for 2-3 minutes to reheat and brown the surface.
24. Serve immediately.
Calories 414 Calories from Fat 172
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.1%
Saturated Fat 11.4 g57%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 129 mg43%
Sodium 353.3 mg14.7%
Total Carbohydrates 14 g4.6%
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g3.6%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 35 g69.7%
Vitamin A 18.1% Vitamin C 23.7%
Calcium 7.8% Iron 9.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet