|Coconut flakes||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Large prawns||1 Pound, peeled and deveined|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Light beer||3⁄4 Can (7.5 oz)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Honey||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
For the sauce
1. In a small bowl, combine together honey, vinegar and mustard and stir well to blend, set aside.
For coconut shrimp
2. In a frying pan over medium heat, preheat the oil.
3. In a large shallow bowl, beat the egg and add in the beer, flour, nutmeg, cayenne and salt, whisk well into a thick batter.
4. In a plate, spread the coconut.
5. Dip the shrimp in the beer batter and tap to remove excess batter into the bowl.
6. Roll the prawns in coconut flakes and fry in hot oil for 3 minutes or until golden brown on both the sides.
7. Coat the remaining shrimps and fry in small batches until golden brown and crispy.
8. Remove and drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt.
9. Serve the crispy coconut-battered shrimp with the sweet-pungent sauce as an appetizer.
10. You can also serve them over rice or with a salad as a main course.
Calories 531 Calories from Fat 87
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.3%
Saturated Fat 3 g14.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.9 mg17.6%
Sodium 478.2 mg19.9%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9%
Sugars 63.9 g
Protein 22 g43.5%
Vitamin A 2.5% Vitamin C 0.83%
Calcium 1.9% Iron 11.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet