Shrimp and Tomato Aspic
|White vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pickling spice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Raw shrimp||1 Pound, deveined, shelled|
|Unflavored gelatine||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Tomato juice||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped chives||2 Tablespoon|
|Crisp salad greens||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Garnish)|
1) Into a medium saucepan, add in 3 1/2 cups of water along with a bay leaf, salt, white vinegar and pickling spice.
2) Allow the mixture to come to a boil.
3) Add in the shelled shrimp. Let the mixture boil once more. Turn down the flame and cook uncovered on simmer for about 5 minutes.
4) Drain the shrimp. Keep aside 4 pieces of shrimp for garnish purposes. Chop up the remaining shrimp.
5) Into a small saucepan, add in the gelatine and sugar. Add in a cup of tomato juice and stir the mixture over a low flame. Keep stirring till the gelatine dissolves completely.
6) Transfer the gelatine into a medium bowl.
7) Into the bowl, add in the leftover tomato juice, red wine vinegar and lemon juice. Refrigerate the mixture for 1 1/2 hours till it starts to resemble the consistency of an unbeaten egg white.
8) Add in the chopped shrimp pieces and chives into the gelatine mix. Gently fold the ingredients into the rest of the mixture.
9) Transfer the salad into a 3 1/2-cup mould.
10) Cover and refrigerate the salad for 3 hours or better still overnight.
11) To unmould the Salad, loosen around the edges of the mould. Turn the mould over onto the serving platter.
12) You may place a hot cloth over the mould to help speeden the process. Shake the salad gently onto the platter.
13) Garnish the Shrimp And Tomato Aspic with crisp salad greens and 4 of the reserved whole shrimps.