Squash And Shrimp
|Butternut squash||1 Medium|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced garlic||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped onion||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Medium shrimp||1⁄2 Pound, shelled and deveined, cut in half|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Cut out the stem of the squash.
2. With a heavy chef’s knife, split the squash by working the blade of the knifeinto it and striking the back of the knife near the handle with a mallet.
3. Peel each half, removing the seeds and strings.
4. Cut the remaining flesh into 3/4-inch cubes, to make about 3 cups of squash cubes.
5. In a large, heavy casserole, heat the vegetable oil over moderate heat.
6. Add the garlic and onion to the hot oil, and saute until the onion is transparent.
7. Stir in the shrimp and squash.
8. Add the water, and stir again to mix everything.
9. Add salt and pepper to taste.
10. Cover the casserole and bring to a boil.
11. Reduce the heat and simmer 4 minutes, until the squash is tender but not too soft.
12. Remove the cover and cook over high heat for 1 minute to reduce the liquid slightly.
13. Serve hot with rice.