Chunky Vegetable Gumbo with Shrimp
|Bacon slices||6 , diced|
|Chopped okra/1 package, 10 ounces frozen okra, chopped||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Use Fresh)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Chopped green onion||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Yellow squash||1 Small, thinly sliced|
|Zucchini||1 Small, thinly sliced|
|Diced sweet green pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Finely chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thyme leaf||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Ground hot red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Medium shrimp||1 Pound, shelled and deveined|
|File powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Microwave the diced bacon, uncovered, in a 2-quart microwave-safe dish on Full Power for 3 minutes or until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
2. Microwave the okra in the bacon drippings on Full Power for 7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Microwave the oil in a 3-quart microwave-safe casserole, uncovered, on Full Power for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot. Stir in the flour until blended.
4. Microwave the flour mixture on Full Power for 7 to 8 minutes or until cinnamon-colored, stirring often. Stir in the celery, onion and garlic.
5. Microwave, uncovered, on Full Power for 4 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once. Stir in the okra mixture, the squash, zucchini, green pepper and bay leaves. Add the chicken broth, parsley, salt, pepper, thyme, red pepper and Worcestershire sauce, blending well. Cover the dish with vented heavy-duty microwave-safe plastic wrap.
6. Microwave on Full Power for 7 to 9 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the reserved bacon and the shrimp. Cover.
7. Microwave on Full Power for 2 to 4 minutes or until the shrimp just begins to curl. Stir in the file powder, if you wish. Remove the bay leaves. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Calories 453 Calories from Fat 196
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g34.5%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 174.9 mg58.3%
Sodium 1055.2 mg44%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 8.9 g35.6%
Sugars 9.9 g
Protein 32 g63.4%
Vitamin A 54.1% Vitamin C 150.3%
Calcium 21.4% Iron 31.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet