Deep Fried Coated Butterfly Shrimp
|Oysters||2 , dried|
|Peanut oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Large shrimp||1 Pound|
|Fish fillets||1 Pound|
|Bacon strips||1 1⁄2|
|Smoked ham||2 Tablespoon|
|Chinese sausage||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Root ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Head of lettuce||1⁄2|
|Chinese parsley sprigs||3|
1. Soak dried oysters.
2. Shell, devein and butterfly shrimp, leaving the tail segments intact.
3. Mince fish fillets, bacon, smoked ham, Chinese sausage, scallion, garlic, ginger root and soaked oysters.
4. Beat egg and add to minced ingredients, along with cornstarch, salt and pepper. Blend mixture to a smooth paste.
5. Roll each shrimp in about 3 tablespoons of this paste to coat. (First oil the palms of the hands lightly with peanut oil to prevent sticking.) Meanwhile heat deep-frying oil.
6. Beat remaining egg. Holding shrimp by the tail, dip first in egg, then in cornmeal to dredge lightly. Add shrimp to oil, 1 at a time, and deep-fry until they float. Drain on paper toweling.
7. Shred lettuce and arrange on a serving platter with shrimp on top. Chop Chinese parsley; sprinkle over as a garnish.