1. Shell and devein shrimp. Then mince or grind with water chestnuts.
2. Beat egg lightly; mince scallion and ginger root; then add to shrimp mixture along with cornstarch, sherry and salt. Blend to a smooth paste.
3. Shape mixture into walnut-size balls. (To prevent sticking, wet 2
teaspoons in a bowl of cold water; then spoon up a teaspoon of the mixture and toss it between the 2 spoons to form a round, smooth ball.)
4. Meanwhile heat enough oil to float shrimp balls. Add them a few at a time. (Don't crowd: allow room for stirring and for even browning.) Reduce heat to medium and deep-fry, turning shrimp balls occasionally, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper toweling.
5. Repeat process until mixture is used up, reheating oil each time