Shortbread With Caster Sugar
|Plain flour||4 Ounce|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
1. Pre-heat oven to Regulo 3 or 300°F.
2. Lightly apply butter on 7 inch sandwich tin, or a baking tray and a 7 inch plain flan ring.
2. In a bowl, sieve in flour and salt. Put in semolina and sugar.
3. With your fingers, rub in butter, then knead until the mixture binds together into a smooth dough.
4. On a lightly floured board, turn out the dough. Option 1: Carefully press shortbread into the greased sandwich tin with the knuckles. It must fit well. Decorate the edge with a spoon handle. Using a fork, prick neatly all over. Cut through into 8 equal pieces.
Or Option 2: Roll the dough to a 7 inch round using the flan ring as a guide. No cracks must develop round the edges. Gently lift on to the baking tray. Keep flan ring round shortbread. Decorate and finish.
5. Bake half way down the oven, for 40 to 50 minutes, until it is pale brown and firm to touch.
6. Scatter caster sugar over while it still hot. Let it cool before removing from baking tin.
7. Serve them during High tea.