|Self rising flour||12 Ounce, sifted|
|Cornflour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Butter||8 Ounce, salted (225 Gram, Salted Or Unsalted)|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Almond essence||2 Drop|
1. Let the oven heat to 325°F (170°C/Gas 3) and grease and line 2x18 cm (7 in) round sandwich tins, preferably loose-bottomed or with a sliding metal rod to loosen the cakes.
2. In a bowl combine the flour and cornflour together.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until very light and fluffy.
4. Put in the almond essence and beat again.
5. Slowly mix in the flour and cornflour, to make a very light, crumbly mixture.
6. Distribute the mixture between the prepared tins and press down firmly.
7. Very gently Smooth the tops.
8. Mark without cutting each into 8 portions and prick a pattern over the top with fork prongs.
9. Let it bake for 20—25 minutes until light golden.
10. Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 5—10 minutes before turning out.
11. To serve, cut or break along the lines marked.